MONUMENTS OF CULTURAL HERITAGE

Monuments and assets of cultural and traditional significance reflect well the history of Mukhuri as well as the people of Mukhuri and represent values for the local population.

Mukhuri Bridge and Mukhuri “Beach”

In the center of the village, a special attention is drawn to the 10-11 meter high bridge, Natskha (it is the name of the place and means burnt and renovated/restored) Bridge, which is one of Mukhuri’s sights. Locals associate it with King Tamar. According to the legend, the King crossed this bridge in the 13th century.

Timber houses in Mukhuri:

The village of Mukhuri has been known for its outstanding wood craftsmen, and the proximity of the village to the forest, combined with the availability and accessibility of wooden materials and timber, created the conditions conducive to woodcraft. This is why houses built with timber are very frequent in the region. They even have their special Megrelian name - ‘Oda’ houses. Especially from the second half of the 19th century, massive construction of twostorey residential houses began, where the second floor was completely made of Chestnut wood.

The Oda of Irakli Gabedava

An old Oda house made of Chestnut wood. It is estimated that the house was built in 1901. The house stands on hewn stone pillars, has wooden shelves, while the carvings of the balconies have been preserved, and is covered with an aluminum roof. The yard is also of typical Colchic style, with a wide field and a shadowy Cherry tree. The Oda is located on the left bank of the Khobistskhali River, near Mukhuri Cave.

House Museum of Lasha Gakharia

The famous poet Lasha Gakharia was born in 1947 in the village of Mukhuri and died in 2004. Today, his house museum can be visited in the village of Mukhuri. The Oda house, located very close to the center of the village, has a typical Colchic-style yard. Oda is built of Chestnut wood, and there are many Pomegranates, Hornbeams, Lime Trees, and Walnut trees in the yard. There is an open space in the yard, and therefore the museum periodically hosts literary events, poetry evenings, folklore concerts, and others.

The Oda of Nato Tsurtsumia

The Oda house made of Chestnut wood with a typical spacious traditional Megrelian yard - Oda itself dates back to 1905, and is built entirely of Chestnut wood. Marseille tiles are used for the roof, and the foundation has fortifications made of white stones from Khobistskhali for solidity. The house stands on brick pillars, preserved with hand-made carvings and ornaments representative of the period. You can also find an old cellar there, where 27 Qvevris (traditional Georgian vessels used for the fermentation, storage, and aging of wine) of different sizes are buried (the smallest one is 12 liters), together with an an old stone fence – ‘Khibili’, a maize storage mill, a hand mill, old-style nails, and others. The yard is of the typical Megrelian style, characterized by a wide-open field and large shadowy trees, mainly Pears, Hornbeam, or Lime trees.

Mukhuri Church

It is located in the cemetery of Mukhuri village and belongs to the period of the late Middle Ages. An Oak Church, built in the three-nave basilica style, with hewn Limestone, solid thick walls, and pillars. Although the walls are preserved, it has no roof. The monument is included in the list of national cultural heritage.

The Oda of Kakha Tolordava

Oda house is built with Chestnut wood material. The dilapidated Oda was purchased by the ancestors of the owner in 1934 and was built in 1953. Oda still stands proudly today and maintains its original appearance well.

St. George Church of Otsindale

The Church named after St. George of Otsindale is an illustration of ancient Georgian architecture. It was granted the status of an immovable monument of national cultural heritage in 2006. The Church was built in the 11th century, and the door of the Church, which was made of Grapevine, dates back to the same time and is currently kept in the National Museum. The Church named after St. George of Otsindale has been in existence for centuries and is a religious center, where many pilgrims gather every year on November 23. A 2.5 km road goes up to the Church from the village of Taia, allowing off-road vehicles to drive there, while from the village of Mukhuri to Otsindale, an old footpath can be used, representing a hiking path of medium difficulty.

Shopping Cart